Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Barrel = New Load?

+2
Larry2520
lanjo
6 posters

Go down

New Barrel = New Load? Empty New Barrel = New Load?

Post by lanjo 2/25/2024, 3:50 pm

Hi All,

I got a new Kart barrel installed on my 1911. Fired about 200 rounds through it before ransom resting it. Ransomed it today. I got a 3-4 inch group at 50 yards.  I was using my best load for the old barrel. Zero 185 gr SWC lead over 4.3 bullseye. With this load the old barrel shot a 2-3 inch group.

Question is...

Is this the best this barrel will do?  Or, after a new barrel is installed do you need to go through the process of finding a new optimal load?  With the old barrel I tested 8 different bullets and several powders and charge loads to get to the Zero 185 gr SWC lead over 4.3 bullseye. Is there hope that I could get back to the 2-3 inch groups if I go through that process again with the new barrel?

Best,

Joe

lanjo

Back to top Go down

New Barrel = New Load? Empty Re: New Barrel = New Load?

Post by Larry2520 2/25/2024, 4:28 pm

It's my belief that every barrel is different even if it's made by the same company and you have to find a load that it likes. That being said I'm not an engineer.

Larry2520

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 2/25/2024, 8:29 pm

I have been told by a very well known smith who built a custom gun for me, that Kart barrels shoot best with jacketed bullets. This does not mean that they don't shoot well with lead. I would suggest reaching out to Kart Precision Barrel Corp in Shallote. NC. info AT kartbarrel DOT com I have found Kyle most helpful.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

Back to top Go down

Post by D.H. Grace 2/25/2024, 11:01 pm

Joe,

It's a new barrel with a new chamber.  It very well might favor a different load than your last barrel.  Try some ladder loads the next time you go out.  

My wadgun surprised me.  In my Ransom Rest, the Kart barrel in that gun will hold the 10 ring with any ammo I put in it.  With Zero 185 gr LSWCs, it groups best with loads that I thought were surprisingly light.  I tested what used to be my old short line of 3.80gr of Bullseye and a Hornady taper crimp of .469 at 50 yards.  From the rest, it turned out that load out of my gun will hold the X ring all day long.  With the lighter charge, it shoots the lead SWCs almost as well as it shoots the Zero 185 JHPs.  So, the lighter charge behind the cheaper lead bullets is now my preferred long line load, and I've reduced my short line load to 3.4 gr of Bullseye so that I don't have to touch the sights or change my hold.

Don't be surprised if your groups tighten up significantly with a new load.

Good luck,

David

D.H. Grace

Arthur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dcforman 2/26/2024, 11:20 am

Also keep in mind that barrel fitting, and not just the barrel itself, obviously has a huge impact on accuracy. This may be an apples to oranges sort of comparison. Did the same smith fit both barrels?

Dave

Dcforman

Steve B and Slamfire like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rrampe 2/26/2024, 8:16 pm

As Dave pointed out, unless you have the barrel itself in a test fixture you are testing the whole gun and the quality of the barrel fitting.

rrampe

Slamfire likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by lanjo 2/26/2024, 8:49 pm

It is different barrels and different smiths.  There are a lot of variables that are different.  I saved all the reloads I made with the 8 different bullets and 3 different powders when I tested the old barrel. Just need to go to the range are try them again.  I really hope to get back to 2-3 inches. Don't care what bullet, powder combination does it.

lanjo

Back to top Go down

Post by lanjo 3/10/2024, 9:54 pm

Finally got a chance to test the new gun on a ransom rest.  Tried several different bullets (Zero, Brazos, Missouri) jacketed, coated and lead.  Found that a 200 SWC Zero shot about 2 inches over 4.2 bullseye.  It is great that the gun is capable of it.  That load was not the best performer with the old barrel. It appears that a new barrel needs to be tested to find the best load. Can't rely on the best load from the old barrel.

lanjo

BE Mike and Slamfire like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down