Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need help to make an easy to build (no welding, few tools or experience) powder measure stand

+3
Foundryratjim
DA/SA
brand-new
7 posters

Go down

Need help to make an easy to build (no welding, few tools or experience) powder measure stand Empty Need help to make an easy to build (no welding, few tools or experience) powder measure stand

Post by brand-new Sat May 25, 2024 11:27 am

As a background to this discussion i must state that I have minimal if any handcrafting skills. Not that i didn't wish i did but life and finances and health took me in other directions. I do have a few basic hand tools (screwdrivers, hand saw, hammer, nails, screws, glue...stuff like that, no welding equipment or knowledge) but i need a secure and stable powder measure stand. It's tough for me to justify 35 dollars for a powder measure stand for. Even the prices on eBay are pretty darn close to new prices.

I read a couple of old descriptions of using pipe fittings that sound perhaps as though they screw together but unfortunately they're old post and the photos are no longer available.

Just thought perhaps someone designed/made something easy to DIY that i might be able to copy. thank you

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Need help to make an easy to build (no welding, few tools or experience) powder measure stand Empty Re: Need help to make an easy to build (no welding, few tools or experience) powder measure stand

Post by DA/SA Sat May 25, 2024 11:53 am

I believe that most use a progressive or turret press for this type of shooting, and they incorporate a powder measure in one of the stations.
DA/SA
DA/SA

brand-new likes this post

Back to top Go down

Need help to make an easy to build (no welding, few tools or experience) powder measure stand Empty Re: Need help to make an easy to build (no welding, few tools or experience) powder measure stand

Post by brand-new Sat May 25, 2024 12:17 pm

thank you, i'm certain you're correct.
I'm still using a single stage Co-Ax press for my reloading and scooping kernels of powder with a Lee reloading measure spoon onto a scale. I have a trickle charger to get things up to the desired charge. I do own a Harrel's Powder Measure but it's for rifle and doesn't do well with the small volume/weight charges for the powder puff pistol recipes i'm hoping to effect. I put a Lee Deluxe Powder Measure in my shopping cart but it doesn't come with a stand. They want somewhere between 35 and 40 dollars for their stand. For me, it just seems like a lot of money when the stand costs some 50% of the cost of their powder measure.

thought maybe i could pick up some stuff from Home Depot or maybe make something with some scrap wood. I'll likely cobble something up but thought perhaps someone else has done this and hopefully might guide me so i don't make silly mistakes.

brand-new

DA/SA likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Foundryratjim Sat May 25, 2024 12:22 pm

https://inlinefabrication.com/products/powder-measure-articulating-arm?_pos=1&_sid=ea7974b28&_ss=r

This might work for you..

Foundryratjim

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Walloch Sat May 25, 2024 1:12 pm

Scrap wood.  8”x 8” base.  2” x 2” attached to base at the edge, about 6” long.  2” wide piece of 1/4” ply with a hole the diameter ofyour powder measure shaft in one end.  Grab a 7/8”-14 nut, or whatever thread your PM is from wherever so that you have two.  Put one on the shaft of the PM and drop the PM through the hole.  Tighten the second 7/8”-14 nut.  This is the setup I did over 50 years ago.

Greg Walloch

Back to top Go down

Post by brand-new Sat May 25, 2024 4:37 pm

thank you Mr. Walloch, that helps

Foundry, the inline fabrication part is probably wonderful but i'd like to try and save some money if possible. i do appreciate the suggestion

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Post by troystaten Sat May 25, 2024 5:08 pm

I would look for a used RCBS one on E-bay sometimes you can get lucky.

troystaten

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sat May 25, 2024 7:07 pm

Somewhere around here I have a measure holder that is a flat bar about 1/4"x1.5" about 6" long.  On the end is a threaded die hole.  It's red.  Make one out of flat metal and clamp it to a table.  An unthreaded hole would need two die lock rings if the measure stem is long enough
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by brand-new Sat May 25, 2024 11:12 pm

thank you

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Post by PMcfall Sun May 26, 2024 5:00 pm

Here you go.  The stand I use when loading for rifle at the bench.  Pipe clamp, pipe, flange, and a little piece of wood.  no skill or special tool involved.
Phil

Need help to make an easy to build (no welding, few tools or experience) powder measure stand 1
Need help to make an easy to build (no welding, few tools or experience) powder measure stand 2
Need help to make an easy to build (no welding, few tools or experience) powder measure stand 3
PMcfall
PMcfall

MkFiji likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by brand-new Sun May 26, 2024 5:22 pm

Phil, thank you....that's perfect! appreciate all the help

brand-new

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down