Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trigger weight on hardball gun too light!

+2
rvlvrlvr
Fordfan485
6 posters

Go down

Trigger weight on hardball gun too light! Empty Trigger weight on hardball gun too light!

Post by Fordfan485 12/11/2014, 1:09 pm

About 18 months ago I picked up a used Springfield Custom Hardball .45.   Have yet to shoot it in an EIC match so far just weekly bullseye matches.   It has a very crisp light trigger on it.  I picked up a trigger pull scale a little while back and finally measured the trigger.  Sometimes it comes in right 4 lbs but most of the time  it measures at 3.5 lbs.   What can I do to make it EIC legal?

Fordfan485

Back to top Go down

Trigger weight on hardball gun too light! Empty Re: Trigger weight on hardball gun too light!

Post by rvlvrlvr 12/11/2014, 1:49 pm

bend the appropriate finger of the spring to put more pressure on the trigger/sear.

Last edited by rvlvrlvr on 12/11/2014, 2:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
rvlvrlvr
rvlvrlvr

Back to top Go down

Trigger weight on hardball gun too light! Empty Re: Trigger weight on hardball gun too light!

Post by dronning 12/11/2014, 1:59 pm

I wouldn't adjust my trigger weight based on the results of a pull gauge.  Some pull type scales are not that easy to get a good reading with as your varying results attest too. 

I'd use either a NRA approved weight set (not cheap) or one designed like it even a home made one using a known weight is fine - if you reload you have plenty of lead around to use for weights.

Then you can think about adjusting the sear spring.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 12/11/2014, 2:05 pm

With the gun cocked unloaded of course, put pressure on trigger, does it have resistance and spring back nice or does it have a very little resistance and feels weak? if its weak, slightly bend the middle spring leaf slightly down, this will stiffen up the free play on the trigger and add a little to the trigger weight. If the trigger feels good but still is less than 4lb slightly bend the far left spring finger down, this will add weight, you might have to do this a few times to get it just right, if your measuring with a manual or electronic, try using a dead weight this will give you a true reading, search trigger weight on here and several members have posted how to home make one.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 12/11/2014, 3:21 pm

If it's of interest, you might have a look at a page on building a very inexpensive weight on my site:

A Do-It-Yourself Trigger Weight

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fordfan485 12/13/2014, 4:13 pm

I weighed the trigger today with a coat hanger and ziplock bag full of 158 gr plated bullets.  Total weight was 4 lbs 0.1 oz.  the gun failed 5 tries.  Started removing bullets until it could pass.   Ended up with a weight of 3lbs 11.9 oz.  I measured the weight on my postage scale.

Fordfan485

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 12/13/2014, 5:32 pm

The adjustment you need to make will be very small.  Follow David R's instructions above.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down