Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marvel oil

+6
Dave C.
Poldoc
Bryan Coyle
Don Tunstall
Lee Donlon
Founder
10 posters

Go down

Marvel oil  Empty Marvel oil

Post by Founder Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:56 am

A friend of mine suggested I try Bob Marvels oil, so I stripped the gun down cleaned it reassembled as usual and added the Marvel oil. After lubing it a couple times the thing really glides. This oil must have some form of teflon or coating that adheres to the metal providing less friction.

Thought I would share that info

FWIW
Founder
Founder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net

Back to top Go down

Marvel oil  Empty Re: Marvel oil

Post by Lee Donlon Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:23 am

I don't remember exactly where, but I saw on some shooting site a recommendation for a bicycle derailleur (sp?) oil. It's called Phil's Tenacious Oil. It costs around $8 for 4 oz, may be available at bike stores, mine ordered one from their supplier, no extra cost. I can't say it lubes any better than any other I've used, but it sticks where you put it!
Lee Donlon
Lee Donlon

Back to top Go down

Post by Don Tunstall Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:56 am

I talked to a High Master at a match that uses Mobil1 synthetic same stuff he putts in his car. So I tryed some castrol syntec 10-30 and works great $6 +- for a quart

Don Tunstall

Back to top Go down

Marvel oil  Empty Phil's Tenacious

Post by Bryan Coyle Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:48 pm

Phil's is about as close to a grease as you can get and still have some oil-like flow. I use it on 1911 rails in warmer weather ... not advisable when the temperature plummets!

Where it really shines is on the bolt of an AR-15 ... it is truly Tenacious!
/B

Bryan Coyle

Back to top Go down

Marvel oil  Empty Oil for 1911 slides

Post by Poldoc Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:05 pm

For most of the time that I have been shooting I have used various greases, most recently Brian Enos's Slide Glide, to lube the slide rails of my 1911s when shooting .45 ammo, but RemOil, a cleaning/lubing oil with teflon when using a .22 conversion. I suppose the lubing characteristics of the Slide Glide are fine, I'll have to take their word for it, but the powder residue from my Hornady/Titegroup loads mixed with the grease to form a vile tarry sludge that continually oozed out from under the rails. After reading in the owner's manual that came with my M92FS that Beretta recommends only a CLP oil for all the cleaning and lubing, I decided to try the RemOil instead of the Slide Glide on the 1911 rails. I don't know how long the lubing sticks around with this rather light oil, so I generally shoot a little spritz into the back part of the slide rails (with the slide locked back) and around the barrel where the bushing contacts, before each shooting session. I normally only do a field-stripped cleaning every 500-1000 rounds (depending on how soon a match is coming up). I have to say that I'm very pleased with how clean the pistols stay with this product. Just about everybody from Cabela's to WalMart stocks it. Works good in my K-38 also, squirted into the cylinder hand and cylinder lock openings and in front of the cocked hammer.
Haven't tried the Marvel oil yet.
Poldoc

Poldoc

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave C. Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:52 pm

Ed's Red. Oil is cheap, guns are not!
Dave C.
Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryan Coyle Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:24 pm

Ed's Red is a cleaner - lube properties are only incidental to it's ATF content. It is not a lube in the same category as what are discussed above.
/B

Bryan Coyle

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:37 pm

It's listed as "Ed's Red, a DIY bore cleaner and gun lubricant. " but with the acetone as one ingredient i wouldn't use it for a leave on lubricant myself. If you want a cheap oil that works great, get any light weight full synthetic car oil.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryan Coyle Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:56 pm

with the acetone as one ingredient i wouldn't use it for a leave on lubricant myself
or the mineral spirits ... I figure it provides a little bore protection until the next use - if that's anticipated to be reasonably soon.
/B

Bryan Coyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave C. Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:34 am

If I remember correctly It was 1 quart trans fluid, 1 quart mobile 1 oil, one quart slick 50 and 8 oz of mineral spirits. There was also a mix for a bore cleaner.

Dave C.
Dave C.
Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:50 am

Here is the recipe:
CONTENTS: Ed's Red Bore Cleaner

1 part Dexron ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.

1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1

1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits

CAS #64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent.

1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

(Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, or OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bryan Coyle Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:02 am

If I remember correctly It was 1 quart trans fluid, 1 quart mobile 1 oil, one quart slick 50 and 8 oz of mineral spirits. There was also a mix for a bore cleaner.

I think you have the "Marine lube" forumla that Roddy has posted a few times conflated with Ed's Red. Ed's (primarliy a) cleaner formula is above; the light lube formula as posted by Roddy was:
1.5 qt 10W30
1 qt Marvel Mystery Oil
1 qt Dexron or equiv auto tranny fluid
1 pt STP

Obviously, numerous substitutions in each formula are possible.
/B

Bryan Coyle

Back to top Go down

Post by JGHermann Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:15 am

From Ed Hall's website at http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/redoil.html
Read the Note part.

Recipe for Red Oil
as provided by MSgt Dan Norwood, USAF National Guard Gunsmith

Note: Do not confuse this with Ed's Red. Ed's Red is a bore cleaner with lubrication qualities. This formula is for a lubricant. This lubricant has not worked well for me in colder climates. - Ed Hall (no relation to the Ed's Red Ed)

Red Oil Recipe

In a one gallon container mix the following:

8 oz. bottle Hoppes No.9
1 bottle STP oil treatment
1 quart motor oil 10W
fill to gallon limit(approx. 3 quarts) with ATF or (cherry juice) hydraulic recoil oil OH-A/ OH-C/ OH-T

---- end of recipe ----
JGHermann
JGHermann

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:22 pm

I still use FP-10, after many years. I saw a demo at Camp Perry a long time ago, with FP-10 and was very favorably impressed. A few gunsmiths I know recommend it.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Marvel oil  Empty Red Oil Recipe

Post by AllAces Sat Sep 03, 2011 5:00 pm

Here's another Red Oil Recipe

Red Oil Recipe

In a one gallon container (1 gallon gas can recommended) mix the following:

• 8 oz. bottle Hoppes No.9
  • 1 bottle STP oil treatment
  • 1 quart motor oil 5W30 (Mobil 1)
  • fill to gallon limit(approx. 3 quarts) with ATF or (cherry juice) hydraulic recoil oil OH-A/ OH-C/ OH-T
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down