Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Center Fire Gun Recommendation for Wife with Shoulder Issues

+16
jmdavis
Dr.Don
Mac2
willnewton
Axehandle
kc.crawford.7
john bickar
rich.tullo
dronning
rreid
jglenn21
Chris Miceli
LenV
Jon Eulette
Wobbley
mspingeld
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Center Fire Gun Recommendation for Wife with Shoulder Issues Empty Center Fire Gun Recommendation for Wife with Shoulder Issues

Post by mspingeld Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:43 pm

My wife has been shooting league with me and doing very well. She shoots a Hammerli Xesse and likes it but she won't shoot center fire because my 45 has too much recoil. She's had a couple of shoulder surgeries in the past and even with the 22, she can't shoot more than 30 or 40 rounds (league is 30 shots per match).

What's the softest center fire gun you would recommend that can accept a dot and still shoot straight? Must be light weight as well. I offered her a Pardini but she says mine is too heavy.

Thanks for the help!

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Center Fire Gun Recommendation for Wife with Shoulder Issues Empty Re: Center Fire Gun Recommendation for Wife with Shoulder Issues

Post by Wobbley Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:51 pm

A 9mm RO.  Load down some real softball loads.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Center Fire Gun Recommendation for Wife with Shoulder Issues Empty Re: Center Fire Gun Recommendation for Wife with Shoulder Issues

Post by Jon Eulette Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:15 pm

I shoot 3.3 gr BE with 200gr lswc out of my 45. I have a screwed up shoulder and the recoil is very soft. In my opinion weight of pistol is more of an issue than recoil of pistol. Also properly fit barrel will lessen recoil. I hold real hard, so I can get this load to cycle a full weight MCP (heavy non-contoured slide) pistol with full rib and scope. Another thing to consider is thinner grips and recontouring grip safety to make grip circumference smaller. Women benefit from smaller grip.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:36 pm

A model 52 is another good choice. Put a mini mount on the rail with a micro dot. 2.8 gr BE behind a 148gr WC doesn't kick much more then a .22 (maybe a little) and is light.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:43 pm

32 s&w long, 32 acp , 38 special.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:48 pm

model 52 or a quality 38 special 1911.. my wife is a small woman with shoulder issues too( rotator cuff surgery)  and loves her 52. she is able to reach the trigger with small hands.

also a  1911 38 super loaded down with light bullets and a light loads of BE.. I have a super for CF and run 3.6 of BE with a 126 dardus SWC.. slide mounted Udot.. have to run a 7 1/2lb spring to make it run... Very light shooting and very accurate

Totally agree with Jon on the overall weight of the pistol  you chose being important
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:01 pm

Model 15/67 revolver. Fairly light weight with 4" barrel, and there's a scope mount that fits in place of the rear sight.  You can load as light as you want and don't have to worry about it cycling.
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:40 pm

jglenn21 wrote:also a  1911 38 super loaded down with light bullets and a light loads of BE.. I have a super for CF and run 3.6 of BE with a 126 dardus SWC.. slide mounted Udot.. have to run a 7 1/2lb spring to make it run... Very light shooting and very accurate

Is that the 9MM bullet? and what size (.356, .357, .358) do you order? 

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:49 pm

rreid wrote:Model 15/67 revolver. Fairly light weight with 4" barrel, and there's a scope mount that fits in place of the rear sight.  You can load as light as you want and don't have to worry about it cycling.
+1 on the K Frame. New Model 66 is a good choice, I have a M19 and love it. 

I have a similar issue with my shoulder and I find the standard BE load 148 GN HBWC over 2.7 BE is good and 2.6 is very pleasant. 

a 158 SWC over 3,0 BE is feels a little softer to me. 

I just bought some 105gn SWC and plan on loading them over 3.0 BE. I do not have high hopes for accuracy but the recoil at -700fps should be about the same as the recoil of a 22lr. 

Another thing to consider is Springfield XDM. Drop in Storm Lake barrel , 9mm, drop in trigger, good factory recoil system and grip inserts it may be an option. The Army used that set up this year at perry and they did ok with it. I shot a 45 and it recoils like a 9mm
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:05 pm

yes it's a 9mm/super bullet..

my kart barrel likes the .356
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:09 pm

If you want to get innovative, you could go with a Walther GSP in .32 S&W. The GSP is heavy(ish), but Sandy Santibañez did a lot of work in the late '90s to cut the weight of a .22 GSP way down so that his teenage daughter, Lauren, could shoot it. 

I think some of Sandy's posts on that are still available in the TargetTalk archives. 

You could get a Dave Wilson barrel, mill a good bit of the weight off of it, and then shoot 98gn bullets at the long line and Lapua 83s at 25. 

It would not be an off-the-shelf solution, but it's possible.

Also, search the archives here for some of Jerry Keefer's posts. He has done a lot of work to get a shootable gun for the woman he is coaching and mentoring.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:30 am

As long as were thinking out of the box.... Did you ever think about a Browning 10/71? They were very well made and would work great for someone that wanted less weight and recoil. They fire .380 rounds. A micro mount should work on them also. With a little innovation. Here is a neat one. NFI  http://www.gunbroker.com/item/600759222

Center Fire Gun Recommendation for Wife with Shoulder Issues Pix991610997
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:29 am

Well since we want to go out of the box.  Aluminum receiver .38 Super downloaded to 38 Special velocity.  Low mount integral Aimpoint Micro cut in the slide and lighten the slide even more.  Can now also do aluminum grip safety and mainspring housing as well.  Very soft shooting and about as light a pistol I can imagine and still be very accurate.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:56 am

+1 on the 38 Super..  My all steel KC built gun recoils like a target 22 and is as accurate to boot....  Build one with a few aluminum alloy parts and it just might be what she needs.
My experience with the 32 tells me that while they might not recoil hard there is an unexpected nastiness to the straight blow back action.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:03 am

I think we're on to something. She does (like most people) like the 1911 platform. Lightened up and softened up may be just what the doctor (shoulder surgeon?) ordered.

Is lightening the slide a double edge sword? Doesn't heavier reduce felt recoil? If so, then I guess it's a trade off - less weight vs. less recoil. My guess is, correct me if I'm wrong, is, make the gun light and fine tune the recoil with load development and recoil spring selection. That about right?

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:09 am

Absolutely, I build a load back in the early 90's for the Super.  It ran 710-715 fps and shot 1.25 square at 50 yards.  Meister 150 SSWC I believe it was 3.0 of WW452AA very soft shooting and also very accurate.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:18 am

off KC's idea RRA makes a Poly 1911 frame with steel rails and feedramp.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:24 am

I'd bet KC would post a picture of the groups his 38 Super shot if he had not sent them to me with the gun! Smile   Since 452AA has gone away I use WST ...  Wish she was close enough to hold and shoot it. 
Center Fire Gun Recommendation for Wife with Shoulder Issues 001_zpsowaguuzo

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:16 am

Len's idea of the little Browning brings back great memories.

My wife's first BE pistol was one of the 71s
 High quality little pistol in 380.. great sights and shoots lead we shot 105 gr Lee cast in it and they we fine at 25.. 50 was a challenge though. Pretty good trigger too. She shot it for several years before her 52.
She's still mad I sold it..
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:05 pm

I loaded 3.1gr BE and 185 Zero SWC for my wife to try in my iron sights 1911.  She has mostly only shot .22 pistol for fun and was intimidated by the .45 and also has shoulder issues.  

I asked what she thought and she said, "Not bad, can you hand me another magazine?"

Yes ma'am! Smile

PS I don't mind shooting this load myself for 25-yard.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:21 am

LenV wrote:As long as were thinking out of the box.... Did you ever think about a Browning 10/71? They were very well made and would work great for someone that wanted less weight and recoil. They fire .380 rounds. A micro mount should work on them also. With a little innovation. Here is a neat one. NFI  http://www.gunbroker.com/item/600759222

Center Fire Gun Recommendation for Wife with Shoulder Issues Pix991610997
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:24 am

Pretty are they accurate?
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:50 am

My wife's 71 was good out to 25 but a challenge at 50
Very reliable weapon 

We were running a 105 gr lead bullet.  Could have been improved with a better bushing but it would have to be made.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:13 pm

pretty
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:12 pm

Thinking back inside the box. The 52 is still my choice for light and accurate but I don't know how light She would require. Now you have something to compare it with. The 52 weighs 44.6 oz fully loaded.

Center Fire Gun Recommendation for Wife with Shoulder Issues Dscf0910
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next