Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Center Fire Gun Recommendation for Wife with Shoulder Issues

+16
jmdavis
Dr.Don
Mac2
willnewton
Axehandle
kc.crawford.7
john bickar
rich.tullo
dronning
rreid
jglenn21
Chris Miceli
LenV
Jon Eulette
Wobbley
mspingeld
20 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Center Fire Gun Recommendation for Wife with Shoulder Issues - Page 3 Empty Center Fire Gun Recommendation for Wife with Shoulder Issues

Post by mspingeld Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

My wife has been shooting league with me and doing very well. She shoots a Hammerli Xesse and likes it but she won't shoot center fire because my 45 has too much recoil. She's had a couple of shoulder surgeries in the past and even with the 22, she can't shoot more than 30 or 40 rounds (league is 30 shots per match).

What's the softest center fire gun you would recommend that can accept a dot and still shoot straight? Must be light weight as well. I offered her a Pardini but she says mine is too heavy.

Thanks for the help!

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Center Fire Gun Recommendation for Wife with Shoulder Issues - Page 3 Empty Re: Center Fire Gun Recommendation for Wife with Shoulder Issues

Post by scheibenpistole Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:25 am

To the OP,

Did you try offering the Pardini to your wife with the weights removed?  That might make a big difference!

32 ACP or 32 S&W Long WC are both good choices as the match guns are all invariably straight blowback.  So, recoil is quite minimal.
Great choices are the Pardini, Walther GSP, Hammerli SP20, Hammerli 280. 
Furthermore, very nice anatomical grips, in "lady-appropriate" sizes are available for each of these four pistols.

As far as the 32 S&W WC is concerned, Dave Wilson makes excellent replacement barrels at very reasonable cost for the aforementioned pistols.

Once you get into the various 38 or 9mms you're dealing with delayed blowback operation.  Maybe it's just me, but the extra workings of the locked breach seem to accentuate recoil beyond what the paper ballistics suggest.  (Again, maybe it's just me!)

The aluminum barrel shroud idea has been around for a few years for the GSP.  That it can be found for the Pardini is a new one to me!  Thanks for that information!!

Since you express the need for a red dot sight, may I suggest the "Docter" or the Burris Fastfire?  These are both very light weight sights that do not use a scope-like tube.  I have used the "Docter" a good bit and find it to be the least offensive dot sight as far as not messing up the balance characteristics of the pistol is concerned.

One final thought: if worse comes to worse, maybe your wife could shoot with the other hand?  My wife is right handed, and initially shot that way. But, being left eye dominant, I got her to try left hand.  After an initial hesitation, she quickly got to really like it!

Best Regards,
Jim
scheibenpistole
scheibenpistole

Back to top Go down

Center Fire Gun Recommendation for Wife with Shoulder Issues - Page 3 Empty Re: Center Fire Gun Recommendation for Wife with Shoulder Issues

Post by mspingeld Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:53 am

Jim,

I did consider the Pardini and, if she's willing to commit, I have 2 choices. Buy the 32 conversion and an appropriately sized grip and change over mine (I shoot 45 for CF), or, buy her her own.

The pros of buying the conversion are, of course, cost. The cons are that I'm changing the gun back and forth so she can shoot CF league and I can shoot the same gun in 22 for full matches. Inconvenient.

Another plus of the Pardini is the availability of off the shelf, accurate 32ACP ammo (Hornady XTP) so I wouldn't have to load another caliber for the low volume of shooting she'd be doing with it.

So I'm down to two favorite solutions. The Pardini or a 38 super, lightened 1911.

She's not as obsessed with Bullseye as I am so, if she doesn't show some enthusiasm, this conversation was simple an education. If, and when, she's ready to commit, we'll have to pick a solution and move forward.

Thank you so much for the input!

Mike

p.s. I'm a lefty but shoot righty because I'm right eye dominant. Totally natural now, couldn't imagine shooting with my left hand.

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:36 am

I think STI makes a Trojan in 38 Super with an alloy frame list price is 1300 and can be bought for about 1100. 

I also find 38 super is easier to reload than 9mm and I would not discount the revolver idea, you can get a M19 for cheap and they are accurate. You can try mine this weekend if you like. 

9MM RO can be converted to 38 Super by changing the barrel, bushing, and magazine on a pretty much drop in basis. 

How does she shoot iron sights maybe the Pardini in 32 acp is the answer.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3