Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bulge Buster Tips?

+17
STEVE SAMELAK
ermakevin
bruce martindale
BE Mike
Eindecker
TonyH
rich.tullo
spursnguns
Allen Barnett
Wobbley
jglenn21
zanemoseley
DA/SA
Aprilian
DanQ
messenger
Soupy44
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Bulge Buster Tips? - Page 2 Empty Bulge Buster Tips?

Post by Soupy44 Mon May 13, 2019 8:26 am

First topic message reminder :

Been having trouble with rounds chambering in my wad gun. I just started shooting lead loads and thought the problem was OAL, which was a touch long. Come to find out the mixed brass I've been buying up has a lot of bulged cases. The brass I started with was all new or came from BE shooters.

So I bought a Bulge Buster. Wondering if there is anything anyone would suggest other than running my brass through it. I read you can put live rounds through, but I'd like to avoid that. 

Also, shooting my brass out of a 1911, how often should I expect this bulging? Should I plan to run my brass through every season?

Thanks!

Soupy44

Back to top Go down

Bulge Buster Tips? - Page 2 Empty Re: Bulge Buster Tips?

Post by djperry2 Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:12 am

It's all in how you look at it. Smile 
Darrell

djperry2

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Thu Dec 28, 2023 11:26 am

Using a bulge buster also uniforms the rim diameter, which can be damaged by the extractor.
It MAY be worth your time to check your cases by putting them in a chamber gage backwards to verity rim condition.  Martindale guage anyone?

I spot check practice ammo during loading and ALL when packing for a match.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by rburk Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:08 pm

When I first started shooting 45, I picked up everything off the ground that looked reloadable, and loaded it.  After a few months, I had a bad experience where I loaded my 1911, dropped the slide, and it wouldn't go into battery.  Fortunately, the indoor range I was at also had a gunsmith on site, and he tapped the slide with his hammer and got it into battery.  I am now more selective on what brass I use, and I purchased a 45 ACP case gauge from Dillon, it is pretty slick. You can drop loaded rounds into it to check if they will chamber.

rburk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2