Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cancelling matches? Says who?

+13
Soupy44
Jack H
zanemoseley
CR10X
James Hensler
Wobbley
Larry2520
fc60
Allen Barnett
PhotoEscape
mspingeld
machinist mike
bruce martindale
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cancelling matches?   Says who? Empty Cancelling matches? Says who?

Post by bruce martindale Fri May 01, 2020 4:31 pm

I see the NRA is cancelling matches. One Month, then another month, and another... like an airline flight delay.

They have the right to cancel the Nationals, it's their show but what right do they have to cancel any others?

That should be a local sponsor call.

All the NRA does is compile data and accept fees. There's no health issue to them.

Perhaps they let the competitions staff go and this is their coverup?

If that's the case, you may never see another sanctioned match.

Thoughts?

bruce martindale

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t20747-feeling-center-a-10-bullsey

Back to top Go down

Cancelling matches?   Says who? Empty Re: Cancelling matches? Says who?

Post by machinist mike Fri May 01, 2020 5:53 pm

The NRA may have laid off their competition division, I don't know, but, I do know that I have gotten at least 1, and sometimes 2, requests for money, every day this week.

I just write back, Get my share from Lapierre!!!!  So sad.

machinist mike

Back to top Go down

Post by mspingeld Fri May 01, 2020 6:15 pm

"The NRA may have laid off their competition division"

Really? All one of them?

mspingeld
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Fri May 01, 2020 6:17 pm

Bruce,

Why are you concentrating on NRA?  Camp Perry / CMP canceled as well and did it before NRA!  CMP functions very similarly in concept.

TMBK Canton and Cardinal aren't canceling, and will make that call if such a need arises.  So for the sake of discussion, more accurate statement would that NRA and CMP canceled sanctioning of matches, and very specifically at this point through June 30th.  More so, I think, NRA being geographically located in the state with idiot governor, who is also stout anti-gun proponent, and hence subject to his executive orders.  

So before we start spinning things up and build all kinds of conspiracy theories, I suggest we stick to the facts and information at hand.  And let's remember, all sides or our lives are affected.  Let's not agitate and concentrate on just one.  And also let's not concentrate on just one aspect of NRA functionality.  For that matter leaving aside prestige and heritage of National Championships, I'd rather see NRA concentrating on protecting 2nd amendment rights.  

I can write more...………, especially because I saw (and lived through) the other side of the coin!  The Silverline is that we need NRA, and especially State organizations, that support and advocate for right to keep and bear arms.  And we need to support organizations that protect United States Constitution as a whole.

With that said, I'm putting my money where my mouth is, - yesterday I proudly became a life time member of WI FORCE, and I don't even live in WI.  And of course I am member of ISRA here in IL.

These are my thoughts, Bruce!
AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Allen Barnett Fri May 01, 2020 7:35 pm

Where is Ted Carter on all this?  We helped to get him onto the Board, did we not?

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by fc60 Fri May 01, 2020 7:42 pm

Greetings,

I suspect the the Nationals and all Regionals will be affected. Perhaps State matches, as well, since they are Registered.

Local matches should continue as normal. Just no score reporting.

Cheers,

Dave
fc60
fc60

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Fri May 01, 2020 8:01 pm

I am seeing upcoming matches, that have been on the books for 6 months, being cancelled, one after the next. Maybe I misread the NRA announcement and these are coincidences?

I have my own thoughts on why the CMP cancelled but I will keep them to myself.

Lets see what happens next. I think we are in for drastic changes at the NRA.

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by Larry2520 Fri May 01, 2020 8:09 pm

Ted Carter is a board member and has no great power in all of this. He can't prevent them from canceling matches. Don't expect from him more than he can do.

Larry2520

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Fri May 01, 2020 8:39 pm

Clubs may be cancelling for a host of other reasons besides the NRA.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by James Hensler Fri May 01, 2020 9:04 pm

Allen Barnett wrote:Where is Ted Carter on all this?  We helped to get him onto the Board, did we not?
Ted just sent out an email canceling the Dixie Match. This is all I know
James Hensler
James Hensler

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Fri May 01, 2020 9:05 pm

On Tuesday, April 30, the NRA released the below statement regarding the suspension of all sanctioned matches until the end of June. This announcement updates the previous one from March. 
Due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the NRA is unfortunately suspending all sanctioned matches through June 30, 2020. Any requests for sanctioning of new matches are also suspended until further notice. As a result of this suspension, the NRA will no longer accept match fees or scores. The NRA will continue to monitor the situation and make additional statements as the Covid-19 pandemic unfolds. Please contact the NRA Competitive Shooting Division at [email=%20comphelp@nrahq.org]comphelp@nrahq.org[/email] or follow the NRA Competitive Shooting Facebook page at this link: https://www.facebook.com/nracompetitiveshooting.

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Fri May 01, 2020 9:05 pm

Pretty clear

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Fri May 01, 2020 9:17 pm

Not worth it....

Last edited by CR10X on Fri May 01, 2020 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Fri May 01, 2020 9:30 pm

Just got this from our local match director. No matches till July at the earliest.

“Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NRA is unfortunately suspending all sanctioned matches through June 30th, 2020. Any requests for sanctioning of new matches are also suspended until further notice. As a result of this suspension, the NRA will no longer accept match fees or scores. The NRA will continue to monitor the situation and make additional statements as the COVID-19 pandemic unfolds. Please contact the NRA Competitive Shooting Division at comphelp@nrahq.org or follow the NRA Competitive Shooting Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/nracompetitiveshooting “

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.

Take Care & Be Safe.

Thank You,

Shelly

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Fri May 01, 2020 10:49 pm

NRA should have worded it as 'canceling sanction of matches".
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Soupy44 Sat May 02, 2020 12:57 am

I teach tennis full time.  The USTA has been systematically canceling the major National events in July, and we're expecting the same in August.  Here in NC there is talk of no State/Local level events (their equivalent of our monthly matches) until August.  The discussed plan would be to ramp up to regional level events by the end of the year.  

The idea is to give the various parts of the country the ability ot make their own decisions, then confer with the surrounding states to open things up as their situations allow.

Just a glimpse from another section of the sporting world!

Soupy44

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Sat May 02, 2020 9:38 am

Well, here we are, just received:

2020 ST. JOE VALLEY RIFLE & PISTOL ASSOCIATION
CONVENTIONAL PISTOL
NRA APPROVED 2700 MATCHES

"Hi all,

According to the Indiana governor's updates yesterday it looks like we will be able to have our May 23rd 2700.  The program is attached.

Indiana updates can be found at backontrack.in.gov 

Basically, starting May 4th we are allowed to have social gatherings of up to 25 people following social distancing.  Ages 65+ are still supposed to stay at home. 

Having said that, I obviously have no authority to enforce any guidelines so please take into consideration your own state guidelines and use your own good judgment.   

Thanks,

Miriam"

AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by PhotoEscape Sat May 02, 2020 1:19 pm

And one more update from Miriam of Chief Wa-Ka-De Range in Bristol IN:

"Hi all,

So let me clarify - I have sanctioned all 2700 matches as well as the regional with the NRA.  I have also registered the EIC matches with the CMP.

I have been assured by the tournament operations gal at the NRA that I can hold on to all scores and turn them in at a later date when they get back to accepting scores. 

If anything changes I will keep you posted.   I plan to run the remaining 2700 matches as well as the regional.

Thanks,

Miriam"

Apparently NRA still functions.
AP
PhotoEscape
PhotoEscape
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Danehogle Sat May 02, 2020 11:22 pm

That is interesting, I received an email from the NRA canceling my state match. I was told that all nra sanctioned matches have been and are canceled, and can not be held. Also when the NRA starts sanctioning again, all the cancelled matches would have to be resubmitted for approval. 
That is the main reason that both I and Ted Carter were forced to cancel our respective state matches.
Danehogle
Danehogle

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Sun May 03, 2020 7:16 am

Dane, Again l will pose the original question...

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by Danehogle Sun May 03, 2020 10:23 am

Bruce, I have given up trying to figure out what the NRA is doing.
It seems that their actions do not coincide with their statements.
That’s if you get a statement from them at all. I have had  more than one conversation with Cole and Aaron about the lack of communication with competitors.
Danehogle
Danehogle

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Sun May 03, 2020 11:06 am

My point is you can still have a match if guidelines are followed. Scores  don't go anywhere...maybe every other firing point.

I am asking why or how the nra or lack of it controls what you do.

Thanks

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Sun May 03, 2020 11:24 am

I actually started to post something like this earlier in response to several topics and changed my mind.  Now I'm changing it back.

Why would the NRA (or any other sanctioning body) NOT cancel the sanctioning of any matches; or any activities that encourage large gatherings at a time like this?  Why give your detractors ammunition and potential lawsuits and fly in the face of local, state or federal advise?  

And if the sanctioning of a Tournament (match), local, regional or national or whatever, is removed then THAT Tournament is cancelled.  That does not mean there cannot be a match, just not an NRA match (if one wishes to use the bad judgement (my opinion) to have a match, then they just have to have a match). And if the NRA wants to retroactively approve or reinstate, then they can do that as well.  How hard it this to comprehend that people might be trying to accommodate and adapt? 

Just because the wording changes and process changes as time goes on does not mean squat.  Nobody (even people that post a lot on this forum) gets everything right the all time, knows all the answers or possible situations at this time.  The only known thing is that things will continue to change. And everybody makes mistakes, some people learn from then and some do not.  And the same people will make new mistakes and new people will make the same mistakes.  FIMO

This is a time of unknowns and just because we don't like not knowing doesn't mean we need to be creating assumptions or assuming intentions about things.  

I, as a match director hold the safety of the general public, competitors and workers as the number one priority.  I expect my club and any sanctioning body to do the same.  I'd rather miss a year of matches, that miss all the matches to come!

I've got family working in the hospital every day.  I've got family that has been sick and are sick.  I've given my time, money and blood to help.  I've work for years to foster and run matches, but I will NOT do anything to compromise the safety of my competitors, volunteers, general public or my family.  

And you all want to play politics and finger point and cry holier than thou at this time?  I've read on the list people worried about classifications, when matches will start, and whatever other ax they have to grind to serve their own opinions based on things people are trying to do to keep things from getting worse.  How about just making the assumption, just this one time, that it ain't about nothing else but just trying to get by the best we can while the world works its way through something new?  I'm sure that might be a difficult concept for some, but just give it a try. 

A word of advise from an old pessimistic dude.   Never attribute to malice or deviousness that which may explained more easily by ignorance or bad communications, on both sides. The former will most times lead you down your own false path of assumptions and decisions.  

I was once told that you can really see the true character of a person only in times of greatest stress or when they think no one is looking.  Yep, it appears to be true.   Shocked

Good-by

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by bruce martindale Sun May 03, 2020 12:01 pm

I think there are a lot of misunderstandings here. For one, and with no malice aforthought, l understand what HQ did, no issue. You can't bring folks in from all over, mass together and then spread a virus. I get it. I am not convinced that regionals will even be safe by July. I was referring to local competition run within the given health guidelines for a particular area. Maybe there is no such thing, and there aren't enough local folks to participate safely. 

Maybe an answer is postals. Fired individually. We have that on the board already though. We could possibly have that for state championships

bruce martindale

Back to top Go down

Post by zanemoseley Sun May 03, 2020 12:40 pm

Our local range opened this weekend but required masks on the line which I understand especially give the fact that the owners are older and high risk. So I shot about 1.5 hours and was 82 degrees out. That was enough to make me realize I have no interest in shooting a 5 hour match at 90+ degrees and high humidity with one on. I've been wearing the disposable surgical style masks, maybe cloth would be better.

I'm 37 and in relatively good shape so it's not very high risk for me but I realize a lot of our competitors and directors are much older and in high risk categories, I'm totally fine making concessions to keep them safe. We've got a small enough community to start, we don't need to kill any off lol.

zanemoseley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next