Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pelican Case for ISSF Pistols

5 posters

Go down

Pelican Case for ISSF Pistols Empty Pelican Case for ISSF Pistols

Post by hammerli 1/10/2021, 11:01 pm

I have a Pelican Case 1510 for my ISSF pistols 
1)Hammelri 208
2) Walther GSP
3) 2 spare barrels
4) Morini 162 EM air pistol.

I made cutouts by plucming the foam but now this is giving way. I was thinking of making compartments of plywood to hold the Hammerli and the Walther vertical and then some space for the Morini.

Has anyone made something like this? Or any ideas on how to pack 4 pistols safely in a Pelican 1510?

Many thanks

hammerli

Back to top Go down

Pelican Case for ISSF Pistols Empty Re: Pelican Case for ISSF Pistols

Post by Wobbley 1/10/2021, 11:30 pm

https://www.cobrafoaminserts.com/products/pelican-case-1510-range-case-foam-insert-for-7-handguns-and-magazines-foam-only

They these folks.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by hammerli 1/11/2021, 12:09 am

Thank you very much. I will get one set for now. However, the cutouts are for regular pistols my Morini 162 will not fit other then length ways. Appreciate the pointer from you though.

hammerli

Back to top Go down

Post by GME 1/11/2021, 2:53 am

Try Kaizen Foam.  It's much more rigid than the pluck and pull stuff, and is very tough.  It's mostly used to organize tools in drawers, but it works well for pistols in cases.  I know.  I've used it in the past.  In terms of durability, I doubt you could wear it out.  

Kaizen comes in 20mm, 30mm and 57mm thicknesses, and comes standard in 2'x4' sheets.  It isn't scored.  It's laminated.  Each thickness is made of up 1/8" sheets glued together.  You draw out the shape you want, cut to the depth you want and dig out the waste with your fingers.  Rockler only sells the 30mm and 57mm thicknesses, but the prices are good, especially with free shipping.  Here's a link: Rockler Kaizen Foam

I just got a giant case, a Nanuk 960.  I got it because it's deep and is wheeled.  I got it with the foam, because the case on Amazon was cheaper with foam than without - much cheaper.  Go figure.  I made the cutouts in the foam that came in it, but I'm not happy with the way it turned out.  I'm ordering Kaizen to replace it.  I knew in my back brain that I'd be ordering Kaizen, but I couldn't resist messing with the soft stuff.  

I have passing familiarity with your case.  I'd think its barely deep enough, if you have scopes.  If you are using irons, or reflex, it should be be perfect.  My pistols are over 7" from the heal of the grip to the top of the Match Dot IIs.  With my new case, I can put the pistols in vertically - barrel end down - except for my 7" Mod 41.  Barrel down gives me enough room for two rows, if I ever need that much room.  

Oh, and you can cut Kaizen with a router.  A router will do the best job, if you're good with one.  If you are planning to cut out squares and rectangles, as I suspect you are, you can make a jig to follow, which is likely to give you a better job than free hand.  You would need a router bit with a 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 cut length.  That's long for a router bit, but they are available.  

I'm thinking about drawing the cutouts in layers in CAD & cutting the foam on my 4'x4' CNC.  That will give the most accurate and cleanest cuts.  I've never tried cutting foam on my CNC, but it's common to see it done with the rigid stuff.  There's video all over the internet.

GME

Back to top Go down

Post by hammerli 1/11/2021, 4:41 am

Thank you very much for this wonderfully detailed explanation and the link to Kaizen foam.

hammerli

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 1/11/2021, 6:01 am

Get the Trekpak divider system.  It will hold up better than the foam, is easier to customize and take up less space inside the case.

Also, if you search carefully, you can find lid stays that will enable you to have the case lid held open at 90 degrees.  Then you can also put a spotting scope mount on spacers in the lid and use the box as a "bullseye" box if you ever wanted to. (Double duty).

I've put together a couple of these over the years.

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 1/11/2021, 10:12 am

On the cheap and easy are the interlocking exercise foam floor tiles. Yes, the square ones that lock together. They are rigid, but soft, gray ones have that stealth look to them. Cut them layer by layer, glue together or not. They hold up very well and for under $20 a set is the cheapest way to go. Kaizen is a closed cell foam and is better in humidity, more expensive and easier to mess up.

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Tripscape 1/11/2021, 10:18 am

Pelican Case for ISSF Pistols Img-2010

Tripscape

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down