Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marking and Testing Revolver Cylinders

+4
joy2shoot
Bigtrout
CR10X
Soupy44
8 posters

Go down

Marking and Testing Revolver Cylinders Empty Marking and Testing Revolver Cylinders

Post by Soupy44 10/21/2021, 8:16 am

Looking to mark the cylinders of my model 14 and 17 revolvers. I found a punch set at my mom's to use, but have very little metal working experience. Want to make sure I don't ruin anything punching the numbers into the cylinder.

After that, any advice on a process for testing cylinders? I assume it's probably just brute forcing it cylinder by cylinder and will take a while.

Thanks! Not much to compete at this winter so I'm building a list of things to do to scratch the BE itch!

Last edited by Soupy44 on 10/21/2021, 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total

Soupy44

Back to top Go down

Marking and Testing Revolver Cylinders Empty Re: Marking and Testing Revolver Cylinders

Post by CR10X 10/21/2021, 8:25 am

You don't really need to number them.  Just test and put a mark (just a dot)  on either side of the best chamber.  just remove the cylinder and make sure its well supported.  Or a spring loaded marking punch will do in a pinch.  Just don't get close to the edge of the chamber. 

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Marking and Testing Revolver Cylinders Empty Re: Marking and Testing Revolver Cylinders

Post by Bigtrout 10/22/2021, 7:25 am

I use a sharpie pen which can be removed with Hoppes solvent.  I used 10 rounds per chamber, firing each chamber in succession into separate targets for each chamber at 50 yds.  I repeated the test again to confirm the first results.  I found no significant difference in each chamber (7) of my S&W 986 9mm.  I developed the best load before the chamber test, otherwise the groups may not be tight enough to yield good data.  You also may want to use a range rod to test the alignment of each chamber to the barrel.  My $.02.
Dave
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot 10/22/2021, 9:40 am

If you want the diameter of each chamber and the bore, the gunsmith at Triangle Shooting Academy can do it. He is very knowledgeable of S&W revolvers.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by sharkdoctor 10/22/2021, 11:05 am

I don't mean this in a discouraging way, but to get an idea of the variability you might encounter in testing, first take a look at The Pistol Shooter's Treasury (2nd Ed. p. 105) where SW52's were tested using a RR and 10, 10 shot groups.  Variability within groups from 1 gun and one ammo is large, say 1 to 2".  Good luck, and bring plenty of ammo!

sharkdoctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve B 10/23/2021, 8:07 am

If you test each cylinder with your desired bullet you'll probably find they are undersized or vary between them, VERY rarely have I ever found a SW revolver with correct cylinder throats.  If they your gun is this way send the cylinder off and have the throats reamed to the correct diameter.  That will probably help accuracy greatly and prevent you from having to use just 1 cylinder.

Steve B

Back to top Go down

Post by Allgoodhits 10/23/2021, 2:17 pm

I think how the hand rotates the cylinder to each chamber, is much more important than whatever the variation may be in the cylinder bore. A match (slightly oversized) range rod may tell you more. Find the chamber which aligns most favorably, use that one. Just a different approach.
Allgoodhits
Allgoodhits

GerhardG likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Soupy44 10/24/2021, 7:15 am

Thanks for the replies!

My plan is to test my model 17 first since I'll just be using CCI SV. That will get my eye in shooting off sandbags which I have never done. I'll mark a cylinder with sharpie to start.

I'll be testing 2.8-3.2gr of BE and 3.3-3.7gr of Titegroup under SWC and RN bullets. My first go I'll find which load shoots best in all cylinders at 50y. During this test, I'll note which cylinders throw fliers in case there's a pattern. Then I'll load a bunch of the good load and then test the cylinders. 

Not as long if a process as testing ammo for smallbore rifle!

Soupy44

Back to top Go down

Post by Soupy44 11/13/2021, 4:34 pm

Did my first batch of ammo testing and found out the combo of Titegroup and SWC bullets is the worst for my revolver.  Had some nice groups with BE and RN bullets.  This makes me feel much better!

Was shooting from sandbags.  My worst group was 3.4gr of Titegroup with the MBC 158gr SWC: had 3 off paper misses out of 10 shots.  Best group was 3.2 of BE under a 158gr Brazos RN.  I don't know if my revolver hates Titegroup or I have a bad batch, none of the groups using it were remotely good.  The groups with BE and RN bullets were roughly similar in size from 2.8-3.2gr.

Shooting off sandbags was a learning experience!  Far more challenging than I expected.  Thankfully I brought my Model 17 to get a feel before going to town on the Model 14.

I have about 1500 MBC SWC sitting around, guess I'll be looking for a short line load for them!

Soupy44

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 11/13/2021, 5:07 pm

Generally, s&w revolvers prefer RN bullets.
Ww231 has always been a popular powder
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Soupy44 5/28/2022, 4:34 pm

Well, 6 months and hundreds of rounds later, 3.1gr BE with a 158gr cast RN from MBC did it for 50y in cylinder 4. 

Short line was solid with 2.5gr BE under a 158gr SWC from MBC. 776, and that's starting with a 140something in SF to find my zero. My NMC SF was an 87 while still taking clicks. 

That took a lot of effort...

Achievement

Marking and Testing Revolver Cylinders Achiev10

Soupy44

chopper and SingleActionAndrew like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down