Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ruger Mark IV: Thoughts on Volquartsen Comp. bolt

+2
Jon Eulette
unbezwingbar
6 posters

Go down

Ruger Mark IV: Thoughts on Volquartsen Comp. bolt Empty Ruger Mark IV: Thoughts on Volquartsen Comp. bolt

Post by unbezwingbar Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:22 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum, and Bullseye shooting in general. I purchased a Ruger Mark IV series pistol back in November, and I keep getting FTF and stovepipes when I shoot. It seems to be at least twice a match, during our weekly league, and once every 50 rd box during practice. I'm considering getting a Volquartsen competition bolt to help alleviate the issue, and wanted to know if anyone has some good advice/thoughts they could share.

Some information:

• I have ~1,500 rds fired through the gun
  • I only use CCI SV in match, and for practice
  • I clean the gun after every use session (thank you, Ruger Mk. IV takdown feature!)

Thank you for your help!
~Unbezwingbar
unbezwingbar
unbezwingbar

Back to top Go down

Ruger Mark IV: Thoughts on Volquartsen Comp. bolt Empty Re: Ruger Mark IV: Thoughts on Volquartsen Comp. bolt

Post by Jon Eulette Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:27 pm

Volquartsen bolt is basically a copy of the Ruger bolt with a different knob on the rear and has his extractor.
Get a Volquartsen extractor and you might need feedlips on your mags bent closed slightly to better control feeding. This is what I would do if it were mine.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Ruger Mark IV: Thoughts on Volquartsen Comp. bolt Empty Re: Ruger Mark IV: Thoughts on Volquartsen Comp. bolt

Post by atrfod Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:04 pm

Have you disassembled and thoroughly cleaned the magazines?I've found that the preservative stuff that Ruger puts on/in them will get sticky and cause all kinds of weird problems.+1 on Jon's opinion of the bolt and extractor.-Mike

atrfod

Back to top Go down

Post by Olde Pilot Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:42 pm

Replace extractor with VQ before doing anything else. Ruger extractors are typically junk and won't last beyond a few thousand rounds anyway. Otherwise it's a great shooter for the price.

Olde Pilot

Back to top Go down

Post by Al Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:30 am

Is the issue universal with all your magazines?  18 yrs ago, I had the same issue with one of mine, albeit not even close to your frequency. I tried this fix on my mags & it solved the stovepiping.

http://www.1bad69.com/ruger/stovepipe.htm

May or may not be your cause, but it may be worth checking out.

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Math Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:20 am

A few guys at the club like the Mexican stuff in hard ejecting pistols, they say it’s a tiny bit shorter in overall length compared to American ammo and that seems to make the difference. 
Jon Math
Jon Math

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down